Thursday 4 April 2013

The Gift of a Walk Outside

Are you ever so busy with work and worry that you feel like you cannot even look up?

Springtime is finally here, and a walk outside allows me to see colors bursting everywhere, reminding me that newness and rebirth are continuous offerings from the universe. I live near mountains that provide four seasons of varied, spectacular beauty. I have so much available to me, yet I often ignore the magnificence of my surroundings and opt to stare at a computer screen, instead.

While it's true that I need to work, I get obsessed with the thought of being "productive." I rush to the gym for exercise in the early morning hours, then rush to my work and stay there. I simply do not allow time for play. Fortunately, I have a friend who regularly challenges this "I'm too busy to breathe" pathology of mine. We are hiking buddies, but even on days when I don't see him, he'll send me a note asking me "Have you gone outside today?"


My propensity towards ignoring the splendor that is so readily available to me has become my metaphor for ignoring the abundance in my life. Nature itself is an act of generosity. If I focus on the details around me, even for a few moments, I come back to work feeling relaxed and energized. And as I notice these details, an additional benefit arises: I recognize gifts that have been there all along. Lately, I've been doing the following exercise:

I step away from my computer and my all-important work, and no matter what the weather is like, I go outside. If I have time, I go for a walk. If not, I take just a few moments to breathe and look up. I then mentally list five details around me. What I see depends on my surroundings, of course. Even the most mundane environment can be lovely, however, if I slow down and really see it.

Here is what I saw on my walk today:
1. A darkening sky, filled with Spring rain
2. A bright red tulip - the first one I've spotted this year
3. Green everywhere! Trees, grass, plants - Life, blossoming!
4. Tiny buds on lilac bushes - the promise of an imminent burst of delicate, fragrant flowers
5. Snowcapped mountains - winter's memory, slowly melting

Even on the worst of days, I can quickly make a list like this. This "noticing details" exercise continually leads me to this same result: overwhelming gratitude. Energy and abundance surge upward, gently and generously providing the sweetness of life for anyone who will take a moment to breathe it all in and observe. Perhaps it is no surprise than when I return to my work, I am much more productive.

I leave you with this one question: Have you gone outside today?

P.S. Thanks, Eric!

Debra Payne, PhD is an Associate Certified Coach (ACC) and a proud member of the International Coaching Federation. She is also the President/CEO/Big Cheese of her company, Better Than Success. She specializes in helping people in times of transition as they rebuild, redefine, and refine their dreams. Her mission is to assist others in taking the lid off anything that is preventing them from pursuing bold, authentic dreams. Please like Deb's page at https://www.facebook.com/betterthansuccess. Follow her tweets @drdebpayne. And finally, kiss your self-limiting beliefs goodbye at http://www.betterthansuccess.com/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Debra_Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment